Thursday, June 9, 2011

Safetly while in Mexico

I am grateful for the discussion we had in class on safety. I have thought quite a bit about the situation I will be putting myself in by going to Mexico alone. I realize Mexico is not the smartest place to go as an American single female, but for what I hope to accomplish through my field study the location is perfect. I will need to be smart and aware of safety concerns.

They gave us some great information in the packets during class on Wed. which I look forward to reading. It gives some basic outlines of safety for the specific area where I will be going. That will be very helpful. I am also trying to see if they offer the RAD course here at BYU before I leave for Mexico. I’ve taken this course before, but I think it would be good to refresh. It’s not specific to being robbed, kidnapped, etc. but it did teach some basic overall ideas about safety awareness and self defense. I think it would be helpful.

I do not want to go to Mexico paranoid, but I realize I need to be smart at the same time. I am going to try to prepare myself right now by refreshing my self defense skills. It will also be helpful to look into possible situations that might arise when I’m there. I can think through them and have a plan as how to protect myself in these situations. Then when I am in Mexico I will need to rely on those things I have learned and apply them so that I’m smart in different situations that might arise. Having a situation arise isn’t necessarily horrible. It is possible that things might happen.

I want to know what to do if a situation does arises, because one might just arise. If I’m prepared to handle the situation then I can get myself out of it, and things will be okay. However, if I am not prepared and something does arise then it could turn from, “just going through a scary experience” to really being in a dangerous situation or running into a serious problem. The key is preparedness, knowing how to handle what might arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment