Monday, May 2, 2011

Clearing the Dinner Table

Friday's class impacted me. How I do things is beginning to change. I came to this realization when I cleared the dinner table. I've cleared the dinner table thousands of times before but Friday was different. For the first time I cleared the table and asked the question in my head. "Why do I clear the plates before the glasses of water?" Maybe I clear the plates first hoping that I can scrub away the food before it dries. Or is it because I hope for something more after dinner...a dessert to follow. Perhaps it's because I would like to return to the table after clearing the plates to sit and visit with dear loved ones as we continue our conversations and finish drinking the rest of our water. I'm beginning to ask myself questions. "Why do I do the things I do, the way I do them?" For once in my life I'm starting to actively think and ponder about my own life and culture. This is happening because I'm starting to ask questions. In class we discussed the importance of questioning. Through questioning I can come to eternal truths. That is why it is so important to learn and apply this principle of questioning in my life. Without the right questions I will never arrive at real truths. Until I ask the right question learning will not take place. The right question will help me to apply what I'm learning. In my prayers I have learned that what I ask determines the answers I receive. If I'm still waiting for an answer I wonder at times, "Have I asked the right question to receive the Lords answer?" In the mission I learned that asking the right question would help the investigators we were teaching come to and understanding of correct truth or gospel principles. If I didn't ask the right question they didn't seem to learn and apply what we were teaching them. There is much power in the process of questioning. I'm excited that I'm starting to think and question. I fear we do not live in a culture that values questioning. Up until this class I'm not sure I fully valued the power of questioning and the how I can come to eternal truths through questioning. In truth I do not feel that I do this yet...but rather that I'm starting this journey where I will one day get to a point where I truly do value questioning. What stifles a question? What facilitates a question? In class we learned that, "A real learner is a vessel and all people are teachers." I believe that this process of question will help me learn from all those people around me who are teachers. In my class notes I wrote, "This course is going to change and challenge how I learn and then what I do with that knowledge (it has to be applied)." I'm grateful for the things I have already started to learn and the things I know I will be learning in the future. What an adventure this is going to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment