Wednesday, May 25, 2011

FS Proposal: intent statement

Statement of Intent

My purpose in going to Mexico is to see how children with special needs are viewed by their families and community. I would like to as well understand how these families are viewed by the community. While I am there I hope to find answers to these questions. Do parents feel their child who has special needs is able to learn and progress? Do people in the community feel that these children can progress? What are the perceptions the community members have of these families? Where do these ideas originate from?

During my field study I will gather data through multiple different means. I would like to interview parents who have a child with special needs. I will also complete surveys with local community members and collect information through observation.

Through this experience I hope to understand how these parents feel. I would like to see things how they see things. I hope to come back to Utah and benefit from this knowledge that I have gained there. Previous to this field study I worked with families from Mexico. When I come back from Mexico I would like to continue providing early intervention services. I hope that this new perspective that I will have gained while in Mexico will help me know how to help these families better because I will see things how they see things. I would like to understand more fully what they are thinking and why they might be thinking this way. Because of this experience I will be more sensitive to their individual needs and provide better services for them and their children.

As well I would like to complete this study to help me determine future decisions of my education. I have always loved other countries and living with other people. It is so wonderful to understand and see things from their perspective. I have contemplated going into a masters program along this area of interest. I want to study different people and how they view the world. This experience will help me to decide if this is the area I would really like to continue my education in.

No comments:

Post a Comment