Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Camping, What a picture! 5/27/11

We have discussed the importance of painting and accurate picture of the place we will be going to complete our field study at. This is important to do so that when we arrive we can make better headway because we see things how they really are. Our research becomes in more accurate due to a correct picture. I have thought a lot about the picture I am painting for Mexico, much of it is still incomplete, but I’m realizing that it is important to gather correct information before I get to Mexico so that when I am there I am better able to research.

I gained more insight into the importance of this during my camping trip this last weekend. This trip was so interesting because we had eight different people who all had different ideas of what camping, or this “picture,” should look like. The main three points that became issues were the food, the campsite, and the activities of the trip.

The group had tried to plan food and what we would be eating at each meal. However, some of the items, such as pans to cook the food in, were left behind. This was frustrating to some of the girls from the trip who thought, “The boys can’t even remember to bring a pan to cook food in?” In comparison one of the gentlemen I talked to said something to the effect of, “Why don’t we just eat the basics and get by?” I should note that he enjoyed his oatmeal packets with cold water for breakfast. It was fast and easy, there were no preparation or pans necessary. I myself am used to eating good food when camping. Amazing homemade Dutch oven meals, yum! Each one of us had our own understanding of what the food should look like and that in turn impacted what activities we thought we should be doing during the camping trip.

Those who wanted more of a meal had this idea of sitting and visiting around the campsite. This is in comparison with some of the gentlemen who wanted the food preparation simple because all they had expected to do was hike the entire day. Wasting time to cook was not on their agenda. I found that I enjoy the nice meal, but when I got there I didn’t want to sit around the campsite, I wanted to spend the majority of the time hiking. I felt like my view of camping was in the middle of the extremes I seemed to be observing.

There was also this conflict of where we should stay. We arrived late on Friday night. The Friday night of Memorial Day weekend, so it was busy. There were not really any spots left and we ended up camping on this ridge. It was pretty much the backyard of the campsite director’s home. Some of us wanted to be more secluded. Others were fine with where we were. This was discussed frequently on Saturday as to whether we should pick up camp and move to a new sight, or stay where we were. Since some had the idea of cooking and staying around the campsite, it seemed silly to move, there was way too much stuff. Others, who had the fast simple meals and ideas of hiking all day thought, “Why not move? You just pick up your sleeping bag roll and move it to a new location.”

It was clear to see that many things factored into our idea, or our “picture,” of camping. What we did when we got there was determined by that picture. I am beginning to understand that how I view my field study area and culture will factor into how I act and respond when I am there. I want to get a clear picture so that when I get there I do what would be most appropriate in that situation. This way my research becomes more accurate.

I realize as well that my picture will probably not be completely accurate. I am going to have to adjust it once I get there. It is important that I am aware of this. If I wouldn’t have been flexible with this camping situation it could have turned into a frustrating one. I tried to have an open mind and see things from other people’s viewpoints. It made it easier to change my own understanding and adjust to the real picture we were actually in. I need to do that in Mexico. As I adjust my understanding to fit there’s then I will see the correct picture and get more out of my experience.

Anyone could have looked at this trip and though it was a bunch of drama, but I really feel that it was a wonderful situation to learn from. I saw new perspectives and understood new things all because I tried to understand the picture I was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment